Hire CalWild to facilitate donating or selling your private inholding to public land agencies. Our expertise working with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Park Service gives us a unique perspective to work with all stakeholders at the initial stage of a donation or sale. Given the lengthy and complicated process that a transfer entails, we aim to offer donors a relatable liaison who knows the local lands and waters well. Additionally, CalWild’s expertise allows us to gauge what role your transfer could play in the greater ecosystems and regional public lands of which they’re a part. We offer multiple services, including wilderness suitability surveys.
Services include (but not limited to):
- Virtual surveying of parcels using high-resolution aerial imagery
- Researching the ecological and social values of the parcels, their management history, and other key consideration
- Preparing preliminary maps and a narrative report to illustrate our findings before field surveying is conducted.
- Surveying the parcels in the field when COVID-19 and snow conditions allow
- Substantiating that parcels currently meet the definition of wilderness as provided by the Wilderness Act of 1964
- Assessing potential restoration needs on these wilderness-caliber lands and documenting with photographs and field notes
- Preparing final maps of the parcels displaying our findings and the rationale behind them
- Preparing a final report that meets all the requirements of the public land agency
- Consulting with legislators if we determine that legislation is needed to add portions of the parcels to the National Wilderness Preservation System
Contact Us For More Information
Some of our recent projects include:
- Sanhedrin Tract wilderness suitability study (Mendocino National Forest)
- Trinity Divide preliminary wilderness suitability study (Shasta-Trinity National Forest)
All photos by Andy Fitzpatrick.